shadamarshanavasu

Friday, April 21, 2006

My first encounter of the third kind; an rto office

I had forgotten what it is to go to an RTO office. I took a license 12 years back and i had forgotten the harrowing experience. I also read in the papers that things are a lot better and extremely streamlined and absence of touts and stuff.Never did i think that all these information is relevant to me, as i have succeeded in getting a motor license long back.
Then i was in for a shock.It all started with a new found resolution i had made to myself.I will be more organised and keep proper record of documents, amc for gadgets,investments,certificates(including the sack race yasas won a third place in in her 2nd standard)I promised.
Everyday i would do a little bit of paperwork so that i do not get overwhelmed and chuck the whole thing half way through.I think it was the third day or so, i looked at my license and was noting down the particulars;i got stuck on date of expiry, 5th june 2004. I peeled my eyes and looked again; i seem to tell myself, come on your license cannot expire(because you did not think it did!). But it came as a shock to me that i need to go for a renewal of this license as i have crossed age 50!(not a pleasant thought at the best of times, and rudely reminded of it then, was like a double trouble)
I kept postponing my visit to the RTO.But then i was told that the whole thing gets over in less than an hour.So i went one day morning and was asked to get medical certificate and photos and attestation and what not.(i really believed that all i had to do was go and present myself and my license will be renewed!)
Got it all done, courtesy RK.
So another auspicious day was fixed to submit the same.Yes, i did go there but only to see a board which said, employees are away on some other government work for the next 15 days and could we please come after they are back.
So back i came again and vowed to go there a few days after they are back to help them settle down a bit.
It was yesterday i went there and was told that since my license is not the original one, can i come back after filing a police complaint with Aminjikarai police station(in the other end of the town, mind you).
They will take note of it, check up their records and then write to this rto office to issue a duplicate;and then the whole process of renewal has to once again get kickstarted.
I was truly upset and made a quick decision in a flash. I will get a new license, as i can organise the whole process in this office.
So it was that i was standing in the queue again today morning with a new set of forms(photocopies of records of residence,date of birth) and in 45 minutes i did get my learner's license.
Yes, the staff were very cooperative, there were no touts who taunt you; time taken was barest minimum; but then i got exhausted with the bureaucracy and the intimidation to be on the other side!
That we need to go round and round the office premises in front of various 'windows' and get scorched in the sun in the process, did not help matters.I was dreading the situation that they will find some lacunae in my documentation and ask me to come again!!
I was surprised how paranoid i got.Told me a lot of things about how to have a simple process which can be understood by everybody.Nowhere was it written for procuring an LLR, what is the procedure one needs to follow.There was a pro no doubt and she was quite patient and pleasant.
Remembered changi airport and how they have a sign board at the exact place where you would be looking for some information!!

3 Comments:

At 6:51 PM, Blogger bluejagger said...

This reminds me of my nightmarish days of my interaction with the RTO, the Ration Office, the Medical Directorate (or what ever), the passport office and what not.
I always remember what writer Sujatha once wrote about corruption. He says corruption is there all over the world. But people in western countries expect extra payment only when they do something out of the way and ordinary routine works are taken care of in a smooth routine way. But in our country even to do routine job people expect to be paid extra.
It is the individuals who interpret the rules. I wish our Govt. offices are more customer friendly and interpret the rules to help the customer and not to stall them and make them merry (or otherwise) go round their office.

 
At 5:08 AM, Blogger vasukumar said...

Yes while i knew all these things, i never believed i would get intimidated by bureaucracy!

 
At 12:48 AM, Blogger Snowbeak said...

haha, can i hope that i will find a more sympathetic ear when i next complain about 'admin'? :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home